Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

What is an electronic travel authorization?

An electronic travel authorization, or eTA is a document that is designed to simplify the process of entering Canada by air. When presented to an immigration official at a port of entry, it allows travellers to enter Canada an unlimited number of times for up to six months per visit. Your eTA is electronically linked to your passport, which means it can only be used with the same passport that is listed on your eTA confirmation.


Who needs an eTA?

You need to apply for an eTA before flying to Canada, or being in transit through a Canadian airport in the following circumstances:

  • You are a citizen of a visa-exempt country
  • You are a permanent resident of the United States – note that you will need to present your Green Card and passport upon entering Canada
  • Some citizens of visa-required countries need an eTA

It is your responsibility to verify what documents are needed before you book your travel to Canada. Although the process of applying for an eTA is quick and easy, you should avoid making travel arrangements until your eTA has been issued.

What Do You Need Help With?

Fill out the following form to write any question