Work Permits for IT Workers

Recent years have seen an upsurge in the demand for professionals in the Information Technology sector in most parts of the world, and Canada is no exception. Due the highly specialized nature of much of the work, employers often have to look to international job markets for the skills needed to fill positions.

There are several avenues for foreign IT/technology workers who wish to work in Canada. These include the following:

  • LMIA-based work permits: Employers are required to complete a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) in order to hire a foreign worker
  • NAFTA work permit: Workers coming from the United States or Mexico may be eligible to follow this route, which waives the requirements for an LMIA
  • Business visitor: Individuals who need to work in Canada for six months or less may be able to do so without the need for a work permit
  • Intra-company transfer program: Workers who are employed by a foreign company can be transferred to the Canadian operations of that company

What Do You Need Help With?

Fill out the following form to write any question