While most economic classes of immigration require applicants to have a job offer, the Canadian government also recognizes the value of entrepreneurship, creativity and athleticism. These individuals may find a path to Canadian citizenship through the Self-Employed Persons Program.
To qualify for this program, you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You must be able to demonstrate your ability to support yourself on your athletic, artistic or agricultural abilities
- If you intend to purchase and run a farm, you must have two years of farm management experience
- If you are an athlete, you must have two years of experience in self-employment related to your sport, or you must have two years of experience in international competition
- If you are an artisan, you must have two years of experience in self-employment related to your creative pursuit, or you must have produced internationally acclaimed works.
- Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada (IRCC) may also assess factors such as education, language skills, and your ability to successfully adapt to life in Canada.