Finding A School In Canada

Canada’s education system is among the best in the world, with elementary and secondary schools providing children with a solid foundation, and colleges and universities that are internationally respected and recognized. With such a wide variety of educational institutions and an almost infinite array of study programs, the number of choices can seem overwhelming.

When selecting a post-secondary institution in Canada, some of the question to ask include the following:


  • Do I want to earn a degree or a diploma, or do I want to learn a trade?
  • Have I already completed studies in my field?
  • Do I want to use this education to advance in my current career or step into a new one?
  • Am I intending to apply for Canadian permanent residence upon completion of my studies?
  • Where in Canada do I want to live?
  • Do I want to study in English or French?
  • How much money do I have available for my education?
  • Where will I live during my studies?
  • Do I have any special needs or accessibility requirements that need to be considered?

The answers to these questions will help you narrow your search. Your next step would be to research the schools you are considering. Most colleges, universities and trade schools offer various combinations of information sessions and webinars, tours and interviews. You can also seek out current students and alumni to ask for their impressions of the school or program you are considering. If you are applying for a study permit, you will also need to ensure that the school is a designated institution.

How do I find an elementary school or high school for my children?

Whether you are a new permanent resident or you are in Canada on a work or study permit, your accompanying dependent children have the right to attend elementary school or high school. In most cases, the school your child attends will be determined by where you live, but exceptions may be made in some circumstances, including the following:

  • Your child is not proficient in English or French and needs ESL (English as a Second Language) or FSL (French as a Second Language) support
  • Your child has special needs that would be better accommodated at a different school
  • Your child wants to learn a trade or skill that is taught at a different school

What Do You Need Help With?

Fill out the following form to write any question