Health Coverage for International Students

If you are studying in Canada, you are required to obtain health insurance, either through a provincial healthcare plan or through a private insurance provider. Although most of the Canadian provinces and territories provide international students with access to their provincial healthcare plans, there are some exceptions and conditions.

If the province or territory you are studying in does not offer healthcare coverage to international students, you will, in most cases, be able to purchase insurance through your school in Canada. Some schools have mandatory insurance for international students, while others may offer a choice of plans.

Please see the table below for further information.


Province/Territory Access to provincial plan Notes
  • Yes, with a study permit for 12 months or longer
  • Application must be made within 90 days of arrival
  • Holders of study permits for 3-12 months may be eligible if they show their intent to continue residing in Alberta
  • Students under 18 must be added to a parent or guardian’s insurance
British Columbia
  • Yes, with a study permit for 6 months or longer
  • Coverage begins on the first day of the third month after arrival
  • Example: a student who arrives on September 20th will be covered from December 1st
  • Student must be resident for 6 months per calendar year for coverage to be maintained
New Brunswick
  • Yes, after being in New Brunswick for 3 months
  • Student must provide proof of enrolment at a NB school, a valid study permit, and proof of arrival date in New Brunswick
Newfoundland & Labrador
  • Yes, with a study permit for 12 months or longer
Northwest Territories
  • Yes, with a study permit for 12 months or longer
Nova Scotia
  • Yes, after being in Nova Scotia for 12 months
  • Student can apply one year after arriving in Nova Scotia
  • Student must be physically present in Nova Scotia for 31 consecutive days prior to applying
  • Continuous coverage is granted to students who provide a renewed study permit, Nova Scotia health card and signed declaration
  • No
  • Student is required to enrol in the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)
Prince Edward Island
  • No
  • Student is required to obtain private insurance coverage
  • No
  • Students from Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Luxembourg and Sweden may be eligible
  • Some Quebec scholarships include healthcare insurance
  • Most international students are required to obtain private insurance coverage
  • Yes, with study permit and proof of full-time enrolment
  • No

What Do You Need Help With?

Fill out the following form to write any question